Emerging Technologies Week 3: Engages with opposing views related to the benefits and implications of technology; Reflects on the meaning & fear of innovation & technology

 

        When it comes to technology, there can be many debates about the good and bad that it brings. Personally, a current debate about technology that catches my attention is misinformation. There is so much information that one can find with a few clicks that it can be hard to tell which source is reliable or not. When writing pieces to publish, some people post with the intent of sharing their own personal bias without acknowledging it. Without this acknowledgement, some people will take those words and deem it reliable when in reality it's a personal opinion. In addition to finding unlabeled biases, it can be very easy for one to find information that solely is not true or reliable. For example, a high school student might need to research about U.S. history and uses Wikipedia to gain all of their information. Even though Wikipedia sometimes includes sources for where the information is coming from, the overall piece that is written is a random person on the internet. The platform allows multiple users to edit the piece and overall it is not safe to assume that any facts stated in the work were properly checked before publishing. Another debate about technology that interests me is the role of artificial intelligence. I feel that A.I. can be both beneficial but also a danger to those who don't know the ethics behind it. Being used with proper intentions, A.I. can help one plan what their day-to-day might look like, which route would be the quickest drive home and even give friendly advice. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to take time to look into A.I. Ethics, so they will use the technology for their own personal benefit. This includes creating false images or audio recordings, impersonation, and many other social issues. I believe that if more people were to take a look into the idea of misinformation and the role of artificial intelligence, then one will have a better digital well-being.

         Honestly, outside of classwork and assignments given to me, I do not take action to learn more about opposing ideas about technology's role in society. Even though I engage with technology everyday because of the world we live in, I do not like to willingly spend my time trying to learn about how ideas like misinformation or the role of A.I. impact society as whole. I feel that we talk about A.I. in almost every single class I'm in that by the time I get home and unwind, I do not even want to talk about the emerging technology. For assignments, I will engage in unbiased news sites that give me more information about some of the issues coming from A.I., but I do not willingly engage in media related to the topic of technology. I know that I should try to deepen my understanding by taking a look into papers or articles about technology's role and I believe that I will be able to do just that with time. I understand that it is important for me to keep up to date about emerging technologies and conversations around emerging technologies, but similar to what I said earlier, I find myself struggling to find the interest to do so. I just feel that I know technology is going to constantly be growing and become more advanced, so why should I focus on the 'now' when I know change is going to happen? Maybe another reason I feel this way is because I never have had strong knowledge when it comes to technology and the idea of something so daunting and life-altering scares me in some ways. I do feel that with time, I might be able to enjoy learning about emerging technologies, but for now I will simply do my best to try to understand the information given to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emerging Technologies Week 1: Understands and defines the meaning of technology; differentiates between technology and emerging technologies

Emerging Technologies Week 2: Begins to engage with ideas related to the benefits and implications of technology