Emerging Technologies Week 2: Begins to engage with ideas related to the benefits and implications of technology
Prompts:
● Focus on the technology you identified in the Week 1 journal entry to consider and respond to these questions:
○ Why do I use that technology?
○ What purpose does this technology hold for me?
○ Analyze the design of the technology. What is the message that this technology sends to me about my values and how I move within/engage with the world?
○ What about my daily life might be different if I lost access to that technology
When I think of social internet, I like to think of creativity and connection. Even though I do not post or publish content that I feel might inspire myself and others, I like to hide behind the screen and absorb the posts created by others. Recently, I have been in a creative slump, which I feel like many can relate to. It can be easy to think less of yourself for not being "smart" or "special" enough to come up with new and fascinating ideas. When I notice myself feeling these negative thoughts, I emerge myself in the social internet world of TikTok or Pinterest. I love the feelings of enlightenment that I gain through other's creativity and how I can express myself through art. Through Pinterest, I am able to feel seen in a spiritual sense. It can be challenging to navigate and explore one's identity in a world where people online post only what they want others to see. That alone can give a false sense to a viewer about how they should portray themselves so that they are not seen as different. In a virtual world like Pinterest, one doesn't need to compare themselves to unrealistic beauty standards or how they should be viewed as. Along with this idea, people can break out of any box they feel trapped in. One can dive into a world of inspiration and connection to what might not be typically seen on social media. TikTok and Pinterest show me that there are individuals similar to me in a creative sense when it seems like I'm the only one in the world who thinks the way I do.
Despite the positives that the social internet can give, there are some challenges that one needs to overcome before they feel safe and comfortable on social media. With TikTok, one might only gain inspiration or feelings of creativity when they have a curated feed. Because millions of people post different types of content on the app, an algorithm needs to be formed so that one is not constantly scrolling for a creative spark. By engaging with content that you really enjoy, you will be able to help curate your feed into a place that makes you feel seen and understood. Some of the content on TikTok does push people to compare themselves to others and encourage them to perform in ways that are untrue of their character. One can find themselves lost in the comments that promote this behavior which can give false desires. It is very easy to get trapped into a negative mindset while on this social media platform, but by engaging in content that you feel best represents you and brings out your values, then you will be able to feel connection in a digital world. Through my curated TikTok feed, my values are demonstrated in a way that shows I value creativity, curiosity, and peace. These values also align with my feed displayed on Pinterest. I hold these values very near and dear to me in both the digital and real world. If I lost access to this technology, I do feel like it might take away some inspiration outlets that I gain through TikTok or Pinterest. But I do know that there are other outlets that I use daily to also enhance my creativity. This includes listening to music, experimenting with small thoughts or ideas I have, collaborating with a friend who shares the same interests as I do, and thinking about how I feel while engaging with hands on activity; playing the guitar or painting on a blank canvas. Although social internet plays a strong role in how I explore my creativity, my creativity and my ability to feel inspired ultimately exists beyond the screen and within myself.
Comments
Post a Comment