Emerging Technologies Week 1: Understands and defines the meaning of technology; differentiates between technology and emerging technologies


            In The Meaning of Technology, Pacey claims, “Thus my argument is that, if we wish to understand what technology means to those who invent, tinker with, build, or just use its products, we must investigate how the aesthetic is intertwined with the practical; how the giving meaning is related to building and making; and how work with tools or with hands may have some correspondence with musical experience” (p. 18). Identify a technology that you use daily. Name it. Then, describe your personal relationship to it. How use using it make you feel? What meaning does it bring to your life?

             Social internet is a place where I find myself daily, whether that be at home, in the workplace or even at my local grocery store. Not only can you see entertaining videos, but you can also keep in touch with the lives of your family members and friends. For me, the app that I tend to immerse myself in most is TikTok. When I scroll through the endless video cycle, I find myself in a world of creativity and relatability. Whenever I find myself feeling blue or feeling trapped in emotional distress, I can easily find another person that is struggling with the same issue. This virtual connection makes me feel less alone and that I am not the only one dealing with a problem. Through TikTok, I also am able to discover new potential hobbies to keep myself engaged with. Songs that I have never heard of before shared through the recommendations of another expand my brain with beautiful new melodies and lyrics that make me feel more in tune with my emotions. I am able to learn more about music history and indulge myself with feelings of newfound inspiration. Despite TikTok being an optional virtual oasis, I do find myself at times scrolling endlessly to find connection, while also being exposed to mentally harmful content. 

            Because I know the type of content that can have a negative impact on my mental well-being, I tend to limit myself from looking at videos from people who I've known from the past. I've come to learn with social media that most people post content that they want others to see and want their lives to be viewed through filters and Photoshop. When I scroll and see these types of videos from people that I used to know, it brings me a sense of sadness and often envy because of emerging thoughts of self-comparison. With TikTok, I am able to limit these negative thoughts by simply clicking "not interested" or by blocking the individual. The content that I feel most myself in becomes flooded in my feed, where I can scroll and not feel harsh emotions while also knowing how much content is a good amount for me to absorb in one day. I value being able to decide which type of content is best suited for me and being able to get rid of content that can be harmful to my mental health. Self-expression is very meaningful to me, alongside inspiration and being able to explore my identity by understanding what resonates with me and what catches my attention. By using TikTok with intention, I am able to use it as a tool for self-expression, connection and creativity. Curating the type of content I consume and setting small boundaries for myself allows me to protect my mental well-being while also still gaining the inspiration and relatability the app offers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emerging Technologies Week 2: Begins to engage with ideas related to the benefits and implications of technology

Emerging Technologies Week 3: Engages with opposing views related to the benefits and implications of technology; Reflects on the meaning & fear of innovation & technology